This workbook is designed as an introduction into the workings of atoms and their structures and organisation. It also includes material on elements, compounds and mixtures, with a focus on the separation techniques carried out on mixtures.
It focuses on aspects of levels 3, 4 and 5 of the New Zealand Science Curriculum.
It gives students a base to build from with reference to the structure of the atom, which is then added to in the Atomic Structure Part 2 workbook. With the information covered in these two books, students will be well set up for the demands of Level 1 NCEA.
The literacy tasks in this workbook encourage the students to read for meaning, scan material, select appropriate information and understand key words. The inclusion of mini-research projects prepares students for what is required in the Senior Sciences.
The numeracy tasks involve number skills, rounding, using basic formulae, graphing data and reading tables accurately. These are all vital skills in the Sciences and beyond.
Take a look inside this workbook* by clicking on the cover image. You can preview in fullscreen by clicking on the icon in the toolbar.
*This workbook is only available for inspection online.
For a full overview and to see the other titles in our new range of Junior Science Workbooks, click here.
Specific Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this topic, students should be able to:
- describe basic trends and patterns in the Periodic Table.
- state the element names and symbols from the Periodic Table.
- work out atomic structure from information on the Periodic Table.
- draw atoms and work out their electron configurations.
- interpret atom diagrams and deduce an atom’s name using the Periodic Table.
- describe the differences between an element, compound and mixture.
- interpret compound formulae in terms of molecules, elements and atoms.
- explain the various terminologies associated with mixtures, e.g. solution, emulsion, suspension.
- carry out the separation of mixtures using a range of methods.
- apply their knowledge of separation techniques to a range of mixtures.
- read and interpret information from a text with a science focus.
- write mini-research projects using scientific text.
Student Workbook: 48 pages
Teacher’s Guide: 64 pages
Free* Downloadable Resource: 13 pages
*Available for free download when a class set and accompanying Teacher’s Guide is purchased.