This workbook is designed be a prerequisite to Level 1 Science Achievement Standard 90948 – ‘Demonstrate understanding of biological ideas relating to genetic variation.’ Its focus is to introduce the link between DNA and phenotype, and includes material associated to genetics, such as, completing an interpreting Punnett squares and reading and making inferences form pedigree charts.
It is essential for students to be introduced to, and ultimately understand, the terminology associated with Genetics and Evolution, especially if they are going to continue studying Biology at a senior level.
It focuses on aspects of levels 3, 4 and 5 of the New Zealand Science Curriculum.
The literacy tasks in this workbook encourage the students to read for meaning, scan material, select appropriate information and understand key words. The inclusion of mini-research projects prepares students for what is required in the Senior Sciences.
The numeracy tasks involve averaging, rounding, graphing, tabulating data and reading scales accurately. These are all vital skills in the Sciences and beyond.
Take a look inside this workbook* by clicking on the cover image. You can preview in fullscreen by clicking on the icon in the toolbar.
*This workbook is only available for inspection online.
For a full overview and to see the other titles in our new range of Junior Science Workbooks, click here.
Specific Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this topic, students should be able to:
correctly use key words associated with genetics.
- compare and contrast mitosis and meiosis.
- recognise the importance of DNA in terms of phenotype.
- use Punnett squares to predict outcomes.
- draw, read and interpret pedigree charts.
- explain the types of adaptations and importance of adaptations.
- explain the importance of variation in a species.
- be introduced to the process of speciation.
- draw and interpret graphs and tables.
- read and interpret information from a text with a science focus.
- write mini-research projects using scientific text.
Student Workbook: 48 pages
Teacher’s Guide: 64 pages
Free* Downloadable Resource: 14 pages
*Available for free download when a class set and accompanying Teacher’s Guide is purchased.